This recipe for delicious coconut macaroons with chocolate and pistachio is a nice and impressive twist on this classic cookie!
For the macaroons:
- 3 medium egg whites
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200g desiccated coconut
For the topping:
- 100g milk chocolate chips
- 15g pistachio kernels
- Preheat oven to 170˚C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate the eggs. In a bowl, whisk egg whites, sugar and vanilla extract until frothy.
- Fold in the desiccated coconut until fully combined.
- Shape mixture into large, round macaroons, mine are approximately 4-5cm in diameter. As a guide, I used a 1/4 US cup measure of mixture per macaroon. Don’t panic if you notice your mixture is quite sticky, it is meant to be this way. You need to press and squeeze the mixture a little, and this might take some practise, but eventually the macaroons will hold their shape.
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until parts of the macaroons are golden.
- Take out of the oven and leave macaroons to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, chop the pistachios roughly, either by hand or in an electric chopper.
- Once the macaroons have cooled completely, melt the chocolate chips, either au bain-marie or in the microwave. Dip the macaroons in the melted chocolate halfway, then sprinkle some of the chopped pistachios on top and place back onto the wire rack.
- Place macaroons in the fridge for approximately 25-30 minutes until chocolate has set completely.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: English
- Calories: 630
Keywords: homemade coconut macaroons, pistachio and chocolate coconut macaroons, chocolate and coconut baking recipes