This one-dish, one-pan recipe for oven-baked tomato orzo pasta with red onion, bay, oregano, chilli and pecorino cheese couldn’t be easier!
- 470g cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 400ml chicken stock (or vegetable to keep vegetarian)
- 220g orzo pasta
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 30g grated Pecorino Romano
- 1/4 red onion
- 4 small bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Pepper and salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Chop cherry tomatoes in half. Keep the vines. Chop red onion finely.
- Bring kettle to a boil. Pour 400ml of hot water into a bowl, add a chicken or vegetable stock cube and dissolve. Add contents of one can of chopped tomatoes, oregano and chilli flakes, grate in the garlic cloves, and mix well.
- In a large oven dish (I use a 32x24cm one) mix the uncooked orzo and tomato/stock mixture with a spatula and make sure the orzo pasta is evenly distributed.
- Top with bayleaves and the reserved vines. Add a generous amount of salt and pepper. Add one even layer of cherry tomatoes, cut side up and scatter over the red onion.
- Bake in the oven for 18 minutes, at which point the orzo should be nearly cooked. Take out of the oven, add grated pecorino cheese and put back in the oven for another 5-7 minutes until pecorino is golden and melted.
- Remove vines and bay leaves before serving and finish with some fresh basil leaves.
Substitute chicken stock with vegetable stock for a great vegetarian recipe!
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/3
- Calories: 379
- Sugar: 14g
- Sodium: 1934mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 64g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 17g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
Keywords: tomato orzo recipe, tomato orzotto recipe, one-pan oven pasta recipe, one-pan orzo recipe, oven-baked tomato orzo