The use of courgette makes a wonderful alternative on a classic carrot cake recipe. Try this courgette cake with cream cheese frosting recipe!
- 265g courgettes (1 large or 2 small)
- 2 medium eggs
- 125ml sunflower oil
- 150g granulated sugar
- 225g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 250g cream cheese
- 120g icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons pistachios
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Weigh the courgette(s) prior to grating, you need 265g for this recipe. Grate them with a four-sided box grater, on the side that gives you the roughest grate.
- Leave the grated courgette in a colander, squeeze and press every now and then to drain as much excess liquid as possible.
- Mix eggs, oil and sugar until creamy. Add flour, baking soda and baking powder and mix until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the grated courgette until well-mixed.
- Divide the cake batter between the two cake tins. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean and the cakes have developed a golden-brown colour on top.
- Take cakes out of the oven, leave in the springform cake tins for 10 minutes before transferring to wire racks. Leave cake to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cream cheese frosting. Mix cream cheese until light and creamy. Add icing sugar a tablespoon at a time, waiting until fully incorporated before adding the next one.
- Roughly chop the pistachios by hand or in a mini chopper.
- Once the cakes have cooled completely, take one cake and cover the top with one third of the cream cheese frosting. Layer the second cake on top, press gently, and cover with the rest of the cream cheese.
- Sprinkle with the chopped pistachios. Leave the cake in the fridge for a little while until the cream cheese frosting has hardened slightly before serving.
This recipe requires two 20cm non-stick springform cake tins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 510
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 369mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 78mg
Keywords: courgette cake, carrot cake alternative, nigella lawson courgette cake, courgette cake nigella, courgette cake with buttercream icing