The ultimate quick and easy recipe for delicious homemade traditional French madeleines! A luxurious sweet treat with a hint of lemon.
- 135g unsalted butter
- 40ml whole milk
- 2/3 tablespoon honey
- 2 eggs
- 85g caster sugar
- 135g plain flour
- 6g baking powder
- Finely grated zest of 2/3 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add milk and honey, stir well, and remove from the heat.
- Beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer or stand mixer for approximately 5 minutes, until you have a thick, smooth, pale and light mixture.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- Add the butter mixture to the egg mixture and fold until fully combined.
- Gradually add a few tablespoons of the flour mixture and fold gently until fully combined.
- Cover the batter with cling film and chill in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Brush the pans generously with butter, then dust with flour.
- Fill approximately 3/4 of each hole.
- Cook in the oven for 6-10 minutes, depending on the size of your madeleines. They are ready when they’re golden, a clear bump has shown on top and are fully cooked through.
- Remove from oven and transfer madeleines to a sheet of parchment paper. Leave to cool completely.
For the most beautiful result, use special madeleine pans, but if you don’t have or can’t find these, and still want to enjoy the flavour of madeleines, you can bake these in a muffin tin instead.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: easy madeleines recipe, recipe for traditional French madeleines, lemon and honey madeleines recipe, foolproof madeleines recipe, classic traditional madeleines recipe