This traditional Dutch apple pie recipe uses cinnamon, lemon and vanilla to get its delicious smell and taste, a baking favourite!
For the crust:
- 400g self-raising flour
- 250g soft unsalted butter
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 8g vanilla sugar (optional, you can substitute with 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- 1 egg
- pinch of saltFor the filling:
- 5 apples (I used ‘Jazz’)
- 50g granulated sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Combine unsalted butter, soft brown sugar, vanilla sugar (or vanilla extract) and pinch of salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix for a few minutes, using the paddle attachment, until light and creamy.
- Separate the egg. Add egg white to butter mixture, and safe the yolk for later. Mix until combined.
- Now move the dough hook, and on speed 1 gradually add the self-raising flour until fully incorporated and a dough ball starts forming. Finish off by hand.
- If you don’t have a stand mixer, ignore any of the above steps, put all ingredients in a bowl and simply knead by hand until you have a smooth dough ball.
- Grease a cake thin with unsalted butter, I use a 24cm non-stick springform cake tin. Take half of the dough and fit to cake tin. You could do this super neatly with a rolling pin, but honestly, I don’t find it worth the hassle and it’s the imperfect look of this apple pie that gives it its charm and it’s how we used to do things when I was little.
- So, I take small pieces of dough and press them into the tin until I have a decent crust. Chill in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Add to a bowl with the granulated sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice, combine well. Add filling to crust.
- Roll remaining dough into long strips and cover the top. Mix the saved egg yolk with half a tablespoon of water, then brush over the dough strips.
- Bake in the oven for 55-65 minutes.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Dutch
- Calories: 1200
Keywords: dutch apple pie recipe, traditional dutch apple pie, easy apple and cinnamon pie, apple cinnamon vanilla lemon pie