Dutch apple and cinnamon pie
The smell of this Dutch apple and cinnamon pie with vanilla and lemon instantly brings up so many good childhood memories, and is also the very reason this recipe should be your next baking experiment.
When I was little, we used to bake some version of this recipe for occasions ranging from a family birthday to simply a rainy Sunday afternoon and was very much loved by my whole family, and still is. It is very simple to make and truly foolproof, but to me the combination of the sweetness, strong cinnamon flavour and fresh lemon is simply pure perfection.Print
Dutch Apple and Cinnamon Pie Recipe
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
This traditional Dutch apple pie recipe uses cinnamon, lemon and vanilla to get its delicious smell and taste, a baking favourite!
For the crust:
- 400g self-raising flour
- 250g soft unsalted butter
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 8g vanilla sugar (optional, you can substitute with 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- 1 egg
- pinch of saltFor the filling:
- 5 apples (I used ‘Jazz’)
- 50g granulated sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Combine unsalted butter, soft brown sugar, vanilla sugar (or vanilla extract) and pinch of salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix for a few minutes, using the paddle attachment, until light and creamy.
- Separate the egg. Add egg white to butter mixture, and safe the yolk for later. Mix until combined.
- Now move the dough hook, and on speed 1 gradually add the self-raising flour until fully incorporated and a dough ball starts forming. Finish off by hand.
- If you don’t have a stand mixer, ignore any of the above steps, put all ingredients in a bowl and simply knead by hand until you have a smooth dough ball.
- Grease a cake thin with unsalted butter, I use a 24cm non-stick springform cake tin. Take half of the dough and fit to cake tin. You could do this super neatly with a rolling pin, but honestly, I don’t find it worth the hassle and it’s the imperfect look of this apple pie that gives it its charm and it’s how we used to do things when I was little.
- So, I take small pieces of dough and press them into the tin until I have a decent crust. Chill in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Add to a bowl with the granulated sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice, combine well. Add filling to crust.
- Roll remaining dough into long strips and cover the top. Mix the saved egg yolk with half a tablespoon of water, then brush over the dough strips.
- Bake in the oven for 55-65 minutes.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Dutch
- Calories: 1200
Keywords: dutch apple pie recipe, traditional dutch apple pie, easy apple and cinnamon pie, apple cinnamon vanilla lemon pie
More baking recipes on Michiel’s Kitchen:
- Rapid apple and cinnamon tart
- Cappuccino brownies
- Courgette cake
- Coconut macaroons with chocolate and pistachio