I strongly believe that whenever planning any nice or special dinner, you should never underestimate the importance of side dishes. They can really make or break a great meal.
For me, a good side dish is delicious on its own, but not too strong in flavour, to ensure it’s not overpowering. It should also do something visually, either be beautifully and elegantly plated, or add some great colour, and help lift the overall look of the plate. Finally, it should be easy and stress-free to make, so you can really focus and pay all your attention to the real showstopper of the evening, whatever it is you decide to make.
The ultimate side dish
My recipe for zucchini courgette roses ticks all of those boxes. It’s an elegant way to plate and serve a versatile vegetable side, that can go with many different dishes and cuisines. It can also be assembled in advance, then is cooked in the oven, so it requires little attention, allowing you to concentrate on everything else you need to prepare.
I personally love these courgette roses with a sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan cheese and black pepper and a pinch of crushed sea salt flakes, but you can experiment endlessly to ensure they go with whatever main you’re cooking!
Assembling the courgette roses
This is a lot easier than you might think! Using a muffin tin here really helps shape the roses. All you need to do is cut thin strips of courgette, I like using a mandoline for this. Then you start on the outside, pressing a ribbon around the outer edge of each hole. Then you continue to roll a ribbon at the time, placing it in the centre and continuing to do so until each hole is filled with courgette ribbons and you are left with a nice, perfectly round circle in the centre!Print
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
These zucchini, courgette roses make the most elegant and easy to prepare side dish! Delicious with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- 2–3 small courgettes
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Using a mandoline, cut long ribbons of courgette.
- Poor some extra-virgin olive oil in a small bowl, and grease the muffin tin generously using a pastry brush.
- Arrange the courgette roses. For the most elegant shape, ensure the slightly thinner ribbons sit on the outside, gradually building up to end with the thickest strips in the centre. Cover the outside of the each hole with a courgette ribbon. Now continue to roll up a ribbon of courgette at the time and place in the centre, continuing to do so until you end with a small circle in centre.
- Using the pastry brush, bursh the top and sides of the courgette roses with some more olive oil.
- Place in the oven and cook for approximately 15 minutes. Remove from oven, season with salt and pepper, and optionally, some freshly grated parmesan cheese or your favourite herbs. Serve immediately.
Requires a 6-hole muffin tin
- Category: Side
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: courgette roses, zucchini roses, courgette side dish recipe, courgette oven recipe, zucchini oven recipe, courgette and parmesan side
More vegetarian recipes on Michiel’s Kitchen:
- Courgette and parmesan puff pastry tarts
- Cherry tomato orzotto
- Honey and soy glazed aubergine skewers
- Pasta with spinach and pecorino pesto
- Easy express weeknight ramen