Honey and soy glazed aubergine skewers
Vegetable skewer recipes can be really hit or miss. Often, they lack flavour and texture and just aren’t as good as its meat or fish counterparts. These honey and soy glazed aubergine skewers, however, beat very many skewers I have made and tried and are definitely a new go-to Asian-inspired dish for me.
You already know how much I love chicken satay (proof here and here) and this is my usual go-to Asian marinated food, but recently I toyed with the idea of making an Asian-inspired vegetable skewer recipe in an effort to mix up my weeknight dishes. I quickly settled on aubergines for this, firstly because I am a big fan, secondly because it absorbs flavour easily and finally due to its fast cooking time.
I decided to flavour the skewers with a delicious honey and soy glaze, which adds strong and rich sweet flavours, as well as incredible ultra-sticky texture. It really gives these skewers such a great bite. And by far the best thing and biggest surprise is that I found out the great texture remains even as they cool down, making these honey and soy glazed aubergine skewers both a great star component of your weeknight suppers and the ultimate Asian party snack!Print
Honey and Soy Glazed Aubergine Skewers Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 (makes 8 skewers) 1x
This fast and easy recipe for deliciously sweet and sticky honey-soy glazed aubergine skewers is the ultimate weeknight dinner or party snack!
- 1 aubergine (approximately 285g)
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon light brown soft sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion granules
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Cut the aubergine in chunks, approximately 1.5 to 2cm in size. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil, brush with some unflavored or sesame oil.
- Thread the aubergine chunks onto skewers. Leave aside.
- Add soy sauce, honey, sugar, sesame oil, cornflour, water, paprika and onion granules to a small saucepan. Whisk briefly.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened. The consistency should be thick, yet easy to brush, roughly the same consistency as a stir-fry sauce.
- Using a pastry brush, coat the aubergine skewers generously in the honey and soy glaze and place on the baking tray.
- Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through to ensure even cooking. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with some sesame seeds and serve immediately.
If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Category: Vegetarian
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: grilled aubergine skewers, vegetarian aubergine skewers, vegetarian bbq skewers, asian bbq skewers, vegetarian asian skewers
More Asian-inspired recipes on Michiel’s Kitchen:
- Crunchy chicken satay cutlets
- Chicken teriyaki noodle salad
- Easy express weeknight ramen
- Mum’s chicken satay
Thank you for this recipe. My husband cooked grilled.
You are so welcome Marina!