Crunchy chicken satay cutlets
I simply can’t find the words to describe how deep and intense my love for chicken satay is. This delicious, rich, sweet and flavourful marinated chicken recipe has always been a favourite growing up. On the barbecue on beautiful summer nights, at Indonesian takeaway places or at Dutch bistro’s, where it is served with salad, chunky chips and a huge amount of satay peanut sauce.
Previously I shared with you my ultimate and classic mum’s chicken satay recipe, but recently I have been experimenting witch chicken satay in new and alternative ways (basically finding any excuse to eat more chicken satay). I was also craving crunchy chicken cutlets and suddenly thought this could make an excellent variation on my favourite classic go-to Asian marinated chicken!
And it totally worked! They were packed with the typical satay flavour, having used a similar marinade to the one I use for my classic recipe, and at the same time also so incredibly crunchy, thanks to a mix of coarse breadcrumbs and crispy shallots. These crispy shallots were probably my favourite ingredient as they delivered both amazing flavour and an excellent crunch!
These crunchy chicken satay cutlets are very quick to make, though, of course, marinating the cutlets for 24 hours in advance would take them to the next level. But even if you only have about 45 mins to spare, I can guarantee you this recipe will succeed to impress.Print
Crunchy Chicken Satay Cutlets Recipe
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 46 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
These deliciously crispy, marinated chicken satay cutlets, coated with crispy shallots is the perfect variation on a classic Asian favourite!
For the chicken cutlets:
- 2 chicken breast fillets (approximately 300g)
- 75gr coarse white breadcrumbs
- 25gr dried crispy shallots
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 75g plain flour
- 1 medium egg
For the marinade:
- 3 tablespoons ketjap manis
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (Indonesian chilli-based paste) or chilli paste
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/2 teaspoon onion granules
- Prepare the marinade: combine all ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl and put aside until needed.
- Slice the chicken breasts in half, vertically, so you end up with square-ish chicken breast pieces.
- Place the chicken breast halves in between two layers of clingfilm, then bash into thin cutlets using a rolling pin.
- Add the cutlets and the marinade to a deep plate, making sure the cutlets are well-coated with the marinade. Cover with clingfilm and leave to marinade in the fridge, for at least 30 mins and up to 24 hours.
- Grab three deep plates. Add the flour to one. In the second one, crack an egg and whisk with a fork. Gently crush the crispy shallots until they have reduced in size slightly. Add to the third bowl, together with the breadcrumbs and ground paprika, combine well.
- Bread the cutlets. Dip in the flour, run through the beaten egg and coat in the breadcrumb and crispy shallot mixture. Leave to dry out on a wire rack for a few minutes.
- Add oil to a large frying pan. Cook the cutlets for approximately 3 minutes on each side. Once cooked, serve immediately with some rice, green veggies or your favourite Asian sides.
As with all marinades, time goes a long way, and these are most delicious if you marinade the chicken 24 hours in advance. If pressed for time, marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: crunchy chicken satay cutlets, chicken satay alternative recipe, chicken satay marinated chicken, crunchy asian chicken cutlets