Coconut macaroons with chocolate and pistachio
Today is my birthday, and while I’ll be more likely to indulge in a traditional Dutch apple and cinnamon pie, it felt appropriate to publish a sweet treat I love today, and my coconut macaroons with chocolate and pistachio recipe makes exactly that!
Coconut macaroons are widely available in the biscuit aisle of any grocery store in The Netherlands where I grew up, but I don’t seen them in the UK nearly as often. They really are fantastic and luckily so incredibly easy to bake at home. The coconut in this recipe doesn’t just deliver a delicious taste, it’s also the secret behind the amazing macaroon texture, there’s quite simply nothing else like it!
If you are in a hurry and want to bake something great with minimal ingredients, these macaroons are great to eat on their own without any decoration, but adding chocolate and pistachio – my two very favourite baking ingredients, the other day – I don’t think I will be making these differently ever again.
The colour and flavour combination of the beautifully bright green pistachios, mid-brown sweet milk chocolate and golden crispy coconut edges turns this totally fool-proof, quick and easy bake into something truly phenomenal!Print
Coconut Macaroons with Chocolate and Pistachio Recipe
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 9 1x
This recipe for delicious coconut macaroons with chocolate and pistachio is a nice and impressive twist on this classic cookie!
For the macaroons:
- 3 medium egg whites
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200g desiccated coconut
For the topping:
- 100g milk chocolate chips
- 15g pistachio kernels
- Preheat oven to 170˚C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate the eggs. In a bowl, whisk egg whites, sugar and vanilla extract until frothy.
- Fold in the desiccated coconut until fully combined.
- Shape mixture into large, round macaroons, mine are approximately 4-5cm in diameter. As a guide, I used a 1/4 US cup measure of mixture per macaroon. Don’t panic if you notice your mixture is quite sticky, it is meant to be this way. You need to press and squeeze the mixture a little, and this might take some practise, but eventually the macaroons will hold their shape.
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until parts of the macaroons are golden.
- Take out of the oven and leave macaroons to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, chop the pistachios roughly, either by hand or in an electric chopper.
- Once the macaroons have cooled completely, melt the chocolate chips, either au bain-marie or in the microwave. Dip the macaroons in the melted chocolate halfway, then sprinkle some of the chopped pistachios on top and place back onto the wire rack.
- Place macaroons in the fridge for approximately 25-30 minutes until chocolate has set completely.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: English
- Calories: 630
Keywords: homemade coconut macaroons, pistachio and chocolate coconut macaroons, chocolate and coconut baking recipes
Can’t wait to make these!! They look amazing ✨
I love coconut macaroons and this recipe with pistachio takes them to a whole new level!! Yummmmy! The perfect lockdown treat. Thank you xx
Thanks for sharing a sweet treat from the Netherlands, these look delicious and healthy too!