Italian oven-baked tomato brunch eggs
If you are anything like me and live for Italian food, you will have no issue with some freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese in the morning. I’m very into savoury breakfasts anyway, and also a longtime fan of oven-baked eggs, so this recipe for Italian-inspired oven-baked eggs in tomato is right up my street and a great vegetarian alternative to the ham and egg puff pastry tarts I shared with you previously.
Anything oven-baked for breakfast or brunch somehow feels very special, while at the same time it’s a very stress-free experience, which is definitely what I’m after in the morning. Once you close the oven door and set your timer, you can calmly proceed with laying the table, preparing a perfect coffee, putting on some relaxing music and then patiently wait for your breakfast to be ready. The perfect weekend morning, if you ask me!
This recipe for oven-baked eggs in whole roasted tomatoes is a perfect and healthy vegetarian brunch recipe!
- 6 extra-large vine tomatoes
- 6 medium eggs
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Slice off the top the tomatoes.
- Using a small knife and teaspoon, remove the core and seeds of the tomatoes.
- Brush a 6-hole non-stick muffin tin with a small amount of extra-virgin olive oil. Place a tomato in each hole and sprinkle with a little dried oregano.
- Cook in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, crack an egg into each tomato and return to the oven for an additional 8-12 minutes, until eggs are set.
- Sprinkle with some freshly grated parmesan cheese, season with some salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Use a 6-hole muffin tin to help keep the tomatoes upright.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
- Calories: 357
- Sugar: 0.2g
- Sodium: 99.6mg
- Fat: 23.9g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 9.1g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 25.2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: oven-baked tomato eggs, eggs baked in tomato, Italian breakfast recipe, Italian brunch recipe, vegetarian eggs brunch recipe